Thursday, November 13, 2008

Funny

I figured we were way past due for a good story. Tuesday morning I awoke to do a service project of cleaning yards. Is this the reason for the picture? I mean, rakes, shovels, youth, fire, all could be very possible reasons. Nope. How about going home and roping. Thumbs manage to frequently get in the way during roping. Nope. This all came about due to a cake. Yes...a cake. You see, Konnie asked for a carrot wedding cake. Carrot cake is easy enough you would think. My landlord has a wonderful grater and I decided to just run by her house to grate the carrots and then head out and bake them. Her daughter came in the kitchen to assist me with my task. She was going great guns when she all of a sudden started jumping around and saying that she had pinched her finger. I so boldly stepped forward and said, "Oh here, let me show you how to do it". I was holding with my left hand and rapidly turning with my right when all of a sudden my thumb was sucked into the grater. I showed her alright! It took off a little piece of my fingernail and laid the skin back a little. Please notice that I used the word "little" twice. Nothing major you would think. I got my thumb rinsed off. They bandaged me all up and then gave me a nice cold drink of water. I went and sat in the comfy chair to just relax a bit because it did hurt. It was at this moment that the Reidhead cropped out in me. I had that nauseous feeling and said, "Pam, I think I am going to pass out". I came to a few seconds later soaking wet and asking the important questions of life. Who are you? Where am I? What am I supposed to be doing here? Poor Pam was not quite sure what to do with me. I assured her that this is a very common occurrence in my life:) Needless to say, It is fine and trust me is so not worth fainting over but I did.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Ouch Karalyn I feel for you! About a year ago my "Very favorite extra specail magical" paring knife went missing. So I humbled myself and used my new shiny red kitchen aide potato peeler. I ended up potato peeling my thumb and scraped of most of the nail and laid back skin. I did not pass out though. It hurt like crazy and the good news was I eventually found my paring knife stuck in the bottom housing of our dishwasher. So graters and peelers are bad! Take care and feel better soon. And keep that thumb up! Too much throbbing if you hold it down.

Kodi Mortensen said...

Oh no watch out for the rest of you coordinated aunts and uncles... Jim falls head first while at the dump, Karalyn cuts her finger, beware of more to come.

Tamra and Jim said...

you better watch out for those dangerous graters from now on. stick to the trusty old pocket knife you've had for years!!!

Tamra and Jim said...

Yea yea yea. All the coordinated people think us uncoordinated, wead stomached people are alike - well, what can I say, we are. WELCOME to my world. Jim